St. Mary's Families,
Daily Mass readings and Saints of the Day. What are you reading and who is your hero?
- GRADUATION + PARENTS. But wait, things have changed AGAIN. The winds finally shifted in our favor. Late yesterday, the state agreed to allow parents to attend high school graduations. We will get the full details out to the senior families tomorrow, but each senior will be allowed to have TWO guests, parents or guardians only, at the 9 am graduation this Saturday at The Grace Center. Again, more details tomorrow (Wednesday). For all of you who have been praying for this, thank you!
- HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE. Seniors must bring a paper copy of the completed health questionnaire with them to the graduation ceremony. It must be signed by the senior and a parent. If you do not have a completed and signed health questionnaire, you will not be allowed to participate in the graduation.
- WEATHER BACK UP. The forecast looks good for Saturday morning. ***IF*** we have to reschedule because of weather, we will slide one day to the right and have the graduation on Sunday at 9 am at The Grace Center.
- SENIOR MASS. We will still conduct the Senior Mass at 10 am on Friday, June 19, at Holy Apostles. It is not mandatory. We know quite a few seniors cannot attend. We've also heard from quite a few who are grateful Bishop Sheridan is still making time for our seniors and their parents.
- 110,000 COVID-19 related deaths in the US. Almost 2,000,000 COVID-19 cases here in America. Stay informed, stay healthy.
- PARENTS, ARE YOU READY? Who said this: "Parents have the first responsibility for the education of their children. They bear witness to this responsibility first by creating a home where tenderness, forgiveness, respect, fidelity, and disinterested service are the rule. The home is well suited for education in the virtues. This requires an apprenticeship in self-denial, sound judgment, and self-mastery - the preconditions of all true freedom. Parents should teach their children to subordinate the 'material and instinctual dimensions to interior and spiritual ones.' Parents have a grave responsibility to give good example to their children. By knowing how to acknowledge their own failings to their children, parents will be better able to guide and correct them." (Emphasis in the original). Trick question. It's not a who; it's a what. That is from the Catechism of the Catholic Church (#2223), and it is the official stance of the Catholic Church as it pertains to education. Parents, St. Mary's is here to walk with you in the education of your children. It is a privilege for us to be invited by you to do so.
How You Can Help.
- MARIAN HOUSE HELP NEEDED.
-- Catholic Charities Marian House moved back to serving hot meals in a modified manner this week. Meals will be prepared and plated by volunteers in the kitchen and then served to the clients in shifts at the tables by the paid staff.
-- If you (students and parents) have some time to help prepare and plate meals, please contact Connie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719.866.6554.
-- The shifts are 7 am to 10 am prep, 10 am to 2 pm plate the meals, and 7 am to 2 pm if you'd like to work both shifts. They are in most need of volunteers on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday but please let Connie know if there is another day you can volunteer. Students should take a SMHS Community Outreach form if they'd like to earn hours. This is a great cause, and the Marian House is part of the St. Mary's family as St. Mary's parent and board member Andy Barton is the President of Catholic Charities. Thank you!
- EMERGENCY RELIEF FUND APPEAL in honor of the Class of 2020. Watch your e-mail for details today.
- SENIOR SCHOLARSHIPS. From Mr. Biondini and Mrs. Aragon. Our seniors have earned more than $13 million in college scholarships!
- YEARBOOK. From Mrs. Taylor. Our yearbook staff received national recognition for their efforts this year. They are one of only a handful of the 641 high schools in Colorado to earn that national recognition.
- INDUSTRY CERTIFICATION. From Mr. Kloenne. Four freshmen earned nationally recognized Autodesk Inventor Professional User certifications. This is an exam, like AP, that is offered to the freshmen in the PLTW Introduction to Engineering course. It is a professional industry certification, and it is unique to the St. Mary's PLTW engineering program. Congratulations to Lyndon Gotelaere, Anthony Isek, Andrew Matticola, and Christian Ruiz.
- ATHLETES IN THE NEWS. KOAA news will air a story on our Competitive Shooting Team today (Tuesday). Due to the outdoor nature of the sport and the built-in separation of athletes, our defending state champion athletes will be able to compete at the state and national tournaments again this year.
Prayer. Please continue to pray with us and pray with our community:
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions,
but in thy mercy, hear and answer me.
St. Mary's High School